“International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women”
Women is one of the best-selling titles in this world, being an author good amount of space given to women, difficult to think a movie without a woman, for an artist a woman figurative painting attracts most and fetching more revenue, even without a women products market won’t be able to reach to such heights. Hard to believe, however still jokes cracked over wife is still leading category. No matter how, it is next to impossible to think for a life without a women.
A Mother, sister, wife, daughter, grand mother and all roles are so perfectly played by her and pleased to everyone in any sense. However, the amount of happiness spread by women in our life is not helping them to uproot the crime against women. It is very un-fare, unfortunate and very scary too, somewhere gender inequality damaging the most, it is truth and accepted widely by wise community.
Twenty first century may be enjoying the last teen year (twenty Nineteen) and very soon will enjoy the 20th birth anniversary, prosperity reaching to extremes, innovations taking place, exploring extra-terrestrial life, however keeping subject of substance under the carpet. Life of a women is still breathless, clueless to find a better world where ray of respect can reach to them.
United Nation has visualized this issue and promoting awareness program across the globe to improve the condition of women, and 25th Nov is being recognized as “International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women”
UN Secretary-General António Guterresa:
“Sexual violence against women and girls is rooted in centuries of male domination. Let us not forget that the gender inequalities that fuel rape culture are essentially a question of power imbalances.”
As per the studies of United Nation, it’s an alarming situations for women the way crime reported against them:
- One in every 3 women and girls experience physical or sexual violence in their lifetime, most frequently by an intimate partner
- Only 52% of women married or in a union freely make their own decisions about sexual relations, contraceptive use and health care
- Worldwide, almost 750 million women and girls alive today were married before their 18th birthday; while 200 million women and girls have undergone female genital mutilation (FGM)
- 1 in 2 women killed worldwide were killed by their partners or family in 2017; while only 1 out of 20 men were killed under similar circumstances
- 71% of all human trafficking victims worldwide are women and girls, and 3 out of 4 of these women and girls are sexually exploited.
- Violence against women is as serious a cause of death and incapacity among women of reproductive age as cancer, and a greater cause of ill health than traffic accidents and malaria combined.
Crime against women is not related to developed or developing nations, in-fact severity of crime in developed nation is very high. Another challenge is that half or more than half of the incidents not reported by the victims due to fear.
Let’s take one example of Most Developed country and Developing country:
Developing Country: India (As per wikipedia website)
Rape is the fourth most common crime against women in India. According to the National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) 2013 annual report, 24,923 rape cases were reported across India in 2012. Out of these, 24,470 were committed by someone known to the victim (98% of the cases).
India has been characterized as one of the “countries with the lowest per capita rates of rape”. Many rapes go unreported in various countries including India. In India, consensual sex given on the false promise of marriage constitutes rape. The willingness to report the rape has increased in recent years, after several incidents of rape received widespread media attention and triggered public protest. This led the Government of India to reform its penal code for crimes of rape and sexual assault.
Developed Country: USA (As per wikipedia website)
The 2018 Uniform Crime Report (UCR), which measures rapes that are known to police, estimated that there were 127,258 rapes reported to law enforcement in 2018. The 2016 National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS), which measures sexual assaults and rapes that may not have been reported to the police, estimated that there were 431,840 incidents of rape or sexual assault in 2015.
Relationship between attacker and victim
|Relationship of victim to rapist before the incident|
|Current or former intimate partner||26%|
|Friend or acquaintance||38%|
Guys, I hope it is clear that crime against women is one of the major challenges for all countries. Everyone should come forward to give one penny efforts and educate your kids (Girl/Boy) about this social responsibility like:
- Fit/Strong enough to be ready to fight against such incident.
- Awareness programs about the women touch and identify the bad eyes.
- How to trust your near ones, as per reports most of the crime done by close relatives.
- Sexual education.
- Include the women safely law in school/colleges.
- Importance of women in our life to be explained.
- Gender equality to be taught in school/colleges
- Sex education to be introduced for a better way to explain the importance of consensual sex.
There are so many reasons of crime and few of them are listed below:
- Bad drinking habits or Drugs – Most of the time when man/women are in alcoholic state then won’t be able to assess the impact of the decision and control the brain.
- Emotion imbalance – It is
a subject of studies and somewhere it has huge impact in crime.
- low self-esteem
- Poverty – Poverty is a
leading contributor in any kind of crime. Due to lack of knowledge, awareness,
facilities people do commit crime. It’s very serious in nature because crime
against women is happening due to lack of privacy.
Specially all family members like husband/wife and their kids living in one room. Unknowingly/un-timely a women/men relationship factors passed to kids and damage the mind-set.
I don’t think we can’t beat these odd figures, only thing is that we should prepare out next generation mentally strong to fight odd situation smartly and jointly. This will engage them to have positivity in their mind.
Thanks everyone for reading this blog, spread awareness about the UN program and ensure that in your surrounding Girls/women are safe enough.
With best wishes.
Please note: This blog is written to spread awareness about UN program. I’ve collected some data and shared the information source links, in case any information looks in-appropriate, please reach out me with facts and findings.